Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Somewhere project



Artist Statement: For the Somewhere project, I liked the idea of putting myself into a movie scene. While I had thousands of options to choose from a lot of the lighting scenarios would have been tough to replicate without lighting equipment. So I settled on this outdoor shot from Ari Aster's Midsommar Horror film. By making this choice I have already given myself a good chance of matching the colors better in Photoshop. When I got working my hardest portion was getting my pen selection curves perfect to make a mask. After moving the selection on to the movie scene, I played with the colors, blur, vibrancy, and saturation of my selection. While I do think this project could be improved. For teaching myself it today I think it looks pretty solid and I am pleased with it. Something I tried to add and think failed a bit with is the shadow of my body, I added a burn shadow to the grass below my body but it seems to be too broad. I think this project helped further my understanding of photoshop as a program and its potential uses.

4 comments:

  1. Feedback:
    1. I like the movie scene you choose!
    I think you did a great job at positioning yourself into the scene.
    2. I would suggest maybe trying to blend yourself more into the photo.
    Also maybe layering some of the grass over your feet might've help you blend into the picture.
    3. I like how you used a picture where you were looking in the same direction as the other actors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you chose midsommer, it is a visually appealing film. I would suggest adjusting colors so you match into the scene more. It is interesting that you chose this film because it is known for it's unique, bright lighting when horror films usually use darkness to tell their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is well put together, you fit in almost seamlessly with the scene. I think your placement of yourself was very strategic and made it harder for my eyes to pick out minor differences that you had from the movie characters. Your shading was a little off with the position of the sun for the scene but overall really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! Leah, I like that idea of adding some grass around my feet, this was the biggest problem for me.Chris, I know this film was very well put together, a great watch.Vreanna, thank you for noticing. I had to put myself in the back to make it harder to tell, your right about the shading. I'll adjust this.

    ReplyDelete